Many years ago a well known preacher passed away. As they were cleaning out his office, the following list was found on his desk.
1. Never say a thing behind a man’s back that would give you the least embarrassment to say to his face.
2. Never speak back to personal critics. Friends do not need to hear the defense and enemies will not believe it.
3. Greet every person you see with a smile and make a special effort to do so if the person is poor or in unfortunate circumstances.
4. The first thing to do each day is to plan your duty for the day and then try to go beyond it.
5. Read your bible and some other good books every day. Feeding the soul and mind is more important than feeding the body.
6. Pay every debt you owe on time and always save something from every check, however small.
7. Be a confirmed optimist believing that even in this life evil men will be punished by their own unhappiness and good men will be rewarded. It’s better further on.
8. Close each day as if it is the last day you’ll be on this earth, closing the books on all regrets, worries, and annoyances.
9. Share the good news of Jesus Christ with some soul each day, whether by voice, the written word or good deed.
10. The last thing to do each night is to count one by one the blessings of the day. This makes one so thankful and happy that they soon drift off to sleep. This is how I desire to close life’s journey and drift into eternity.